Sunday, May 23, 2004

JOSÉ LUÍS PEIXOTO

Born in 1974, Jose Luis Peixoto is the author of both poetry books and novels. His first novel "Nenhum Olhar" won the prestigious Jose Saramago's Literary Award. He is also the author of "Morreste-me" (novella), "Uma casa na escuridao" (novel), "A crianca em ruinas" (poetry) and "Antidote" (novella). His books have been translated to several languages. He is the greatest promisse of portuguese contemporary literature.




From "A Crianca em Ruinas"

when it was time to set the table, we were five:
my father, my mother, my two sisters
and me. then, my older sister
got married. then, my younger sister
got married. then, my father died. today,
when it is time to set the table, we are five,
except for my older sister who is
at her house, except for my younger sister
who is at her house, except for my
father, except for my widowed mother. each one
is an empty place at this table where
I eat alone. but they will always be here.
when it is time to set the table, we will always be five.
as long as one of us is alive, we will always be five.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This poem is breath taking... Just beautiful...

May 23, 2004 at 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this poem is just amazing, tragic, hopefull, and breathtaking. just utterly unique. ace.

March 17, 2005 at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home